Chapter Events and Upcoming Meetings
SCC Chapter meetings are held the first Monday of every month at 7 p.m., second floor of Philippe's Restaurant, 1001 N. Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012.
PLEASE NOTE: The October meeting was canceled, and the November meeting will be held Nov. 14, after the election.
Significant Employment Opportunity
Los Angeles Unified School District
Facilities Asset Development Director – Up to $165,800/yr. plus benefits
The Facilities Asset Development Director is responsible for directing and coordinating District pre-construction and master-planning activities. They oversee a department whose projects enhance schools as centers of their community; foster public private partnerships in order to provide students, teachers, and the community much needed resources such as parks, youth services, and workforce housing; and tackle the challenges of creating projects that enhance the educational mission of the campus, the local district, and the school district at large.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited college or university, with a bachelor's degree, preferably in architecture, engineering, facilities planning, urban planning, or construction management.
EXPERIENCE: Ten years of executive or administrative experience with the responsibility for architectural planning, design, and development of large campuses, projects or programs.
Summary of September 5, 2016, SCC Meeting
1. Call to Order – President Bob Sims opened the meeting at 7:00 p.m.
2. Minutes, August 1, 2016, Meeting – Minutes of the August 1, 2016 meeting were approved.
3. Newsletter – Stan Horwitz – Stan sent out the September SCC Newsletter.
4. President's Report – Bob Sims – Bob gave an update on possible committee recommendations for the future of CSPE. Bob is a member of a small committee tasked to make the recommendations. The committee has two more meetings and then plans to present its recommendations to the CSPE Board of Directors in October. Recommendations for extensive changes are possible.
5. Thank You Letters – Malik Sooch, Director of Development, College of Engineering and Computer Science at California State University, Northridge wrote thanking SCC for its contribution. Beneil Eisavi, who received the scholarship from the SCC funds, also sent a thank you letter.
6. Treasurer’s Report – Stan Horwitz – SCC funds are $4,379.15.
Stan prepared a budget for 2016-2017. The budget was discussed and adopted with minor change.
1. Directors Report – Bob Sims – The CSPE Board of Directors is scheduled to meet October 6, 2016.
2. NSPE First Annual Professional Engineers Day – SCC did not observe the day but it was observed elsewhere.
3. NSPE Member Open Forums – Interested members are urged to participate in the on line NSPE open forum discussions.
4. Image and Marketing – Richard Schwartz – Richard noted the SCC website has not been updated in two years and presented suggestions for the update. The suggestions were accepted and will be implemented.
5. Feedback – Considerable discussion took place on possible changes that might affect in CSPE, and SCC as a result of the study on the future of CSPE.
6. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
7. Next Meeting – Next SCC meeting will be 7 p.m., November 14, 2016, Philippe’s, corner of Alameda and Ord, near Union Station.
Links to the online versions of the Southern Chapters Council email newsletters: